Monday, March 05, 2007

Southern Language

May the Lord bless those people who have the "Southern draw". I feel I need to tell a story that happened to me years ago back when I was 19 years old. My younger sister and I decided to go to Georgia where my mother's relatives are. They live in the Northern part of Georgia, about 45 min from Tennessee border.

As I was driving, I got lost around the Univ of Tenn. I pulled into a gas station to ask a clerk if he could help me find this route I was to take. Well, after asking him, he replied to me "Go up 6 lots and make a laeft." I looked at him very confused and asked "6 lots?" He says "Yes, 6 lots" pointing at the stop lights. What he was trying to tell me was "Go up 6 lights and make a left".

Needless to say, I wasn't that used to the "Southern Slang/draw" and my sister laughed at me so hard, she was in tears. I told him "thank you" and I left. Meanwhile, looking in my rear view mirror and he was shaking his head like I was crazy. LOL

We finally arrived there and my cousin Angie asked if we (my sister & I) wanted to go shopping but we had to go to her house first. As we got in the car and she's driving, I asked her how far away was her house from her mom & dad's (my aunt & uncle). She says "It's just up yunder." 15 min later, we are still driving, she still says "it's just up yunder". Finally, I had to ask, "just how far is yunder?" We finally arrived about 5 min after I asked that. After she got what she needed, we went shopping.

The trip went well of course, and after being down there a week, I came home with a partial southern draw ya'll. LOL May the Lord bless each and every one of you.

3 comments:

Rita Loca said...

A little culture shock,huh?

Anonymous said...

I love the southern accent. It's so charming.

Unknown said...

LOL! I can have a southern draw if I'm not careful, but the best is after I go to West Virginia to visit relatives! I can talk "reel kuntree" then! I liked this post. It made me smile!